NEAS Quality Endorsement
The IDP IELTS Teacher Training Program has been awarded a NEAS Quality Endorsement.
It is the first Product to be Quality Endorsed as part of NEAS’ new quality Products and Services initiative, which recognises high-quality products and services that benefit the ELT community.
IELTS Teacher Training Reviews
See what others are saying about the program.
IELTS Teacher Training participant
IELTS Teacher Training participant
Who can enrol in these courses?
The IELTS training courses are a free resource available to all TESOL and IELTS teachers.
What are the course features?
- Interactive IELTS Writing and Speaking courses
- Covers Academic and General Training Writing
- Authentic ‘live’ materials and official IELTS samples
- Online intuitive training platform to optimise learning
- All training materials included
- 10 hours worth of learning for each course
- Practice in rating Writing and Speaking tests using the public Band Descriptors
- Receive a certificate of completion
- Unit 1: Introduction to the Writing test
- 1.1 Writing Training Course Information
- 1.2 Introduction to the IELTS Writing Tests
- Unit 2: Understanding IELTS Writing prompts
- 2.1 Understanding Task 1 prompts
- 2.2 Understanding Task 2 prompts
- Unit 3: Writing assessment criteria
- 3.1 Focus on Assessing IELTS Writing
- 3.2 Introduction to the Writing Assessment Criteria
- 3.3 Focus on Criteria Terminology
- 3.4 Focus on Task 1 Terminology Exercise
- 3.5 Focus on Task 2 Terminology Exercise
- 3.6 Assessment Criteria Knowledge Check
- Unit 4: Writing assessment method
- 4.1 Marking Method
- 4.2 Standard Setting
- Unit 5: Identifying atypical scripts
- 5.1 Introduction to Atypical Scripts
- 5.2 Focus on Problem Areas
- 5.3 Negative Feature Knowledge Check
- Unit 6: Testing Understanding
- 6.1 Testing understanding – Applying the Standard
- 6.2 Assessing Task 1 AC and GT
- 6.3 Assessing Task 2 AC and GT
- Unit 7: Revision
- 7.1 Writing Assessment Criteria Revision
- 7.2 Conclusion of Writing Course
- Unit 1: Introduction to the IELTS Speaking test
- 1.1 Speaking Training Course Information
- 1.2 Introduction to the IELTS Speaking test
- Unit 2: Focus on Assessment
- 2.1 Speaking Assessment Criteria
- 2.2 The Public Version of the Speaking Assessment Criteria
- 2.3 Key Features of Fluency and Coherence
- 2.4 Key Features of Lexical Resource
- 2.5 Key Features of Grammatical Range and Accuracy
- 2.6 Key Features of Pronunciation
- 2.7 Speaking Assessment Criteria Knowledge Check 1
- 2.8 Assessment Method
- Unit 3: Standard Setting
- 3.1 Setting the Standard – Band 5.5
- Unit 4: Standard Setting Practice - Extracts
- 4.1 Applying the Standard
- 4.2 Part 1 Extracts
- 4.3 Part 2 Extracts
- 4.4 Part 3 Extracts
- Unit 5: Standard Setting Practice - Interviews
- 5.1 Applying the Standard
- 5.2 Interview 1
- 5.3 Interview 2
- 5.4 Interview 3
- Unit 6: Revision
- 6.1 Speaking Assessment Criteria Knowledge Check 2
- 6.2 Conclusion of Speaking Course
- Does it cost to enrol in the IELTS Teacher Training courses?
No, the IELTS Teacher Training course is free for all TESOL/IELTS teachers.
- What happens after I register to enrol in the IELTS Teacher Training courses?
After you register to enrol in the Teacher Training course:
- IELTS will confirm your registration
- We’ll enrol you in the IELTS Teacher Training course and email you personal login details to the online learning system. Please be aware that it might take a couple of days for us to do this to approve and provide access. We’ll email you when you’re ready to start.
- You can access the online learning environment. Complete the courses at your own pace.
- When you’ve completed both courses, we’ll ask you to complete an evaluation survey.
- IELTS will email you a Certificate of Completion.
- Can teachers award band scores to students?
Teachers are not allowed to award band scores using the public Band Descriptors but can highlight features in the assessment criteria that match written and spoken performance.
- I am an IELTS teacher, can I distribute the contents of this training course?
The contents of this training course must not be shared or distributed.
- Do the IELTS Speaking and Writing training course have a pass rate?
Yes, a pass mark of 80% is required for all interactive quizzes.
- Can IELTS test takers enrol in this course?
The IELTS Teacher Training course is for the exclusive use of professional IELTS teachers and tutors. The content of the course requires an understanding of teaching English to speakers of other languages.
- I don’t have time to do the full course, what can I do?
The complete IELTS Teacher Training course takes approximately 20 hours to complete. The Writing module takes 10 hours and the Speaking module takes 10 hours. You can complete either module, or learn elements from each module.
However, we only issue a Certificate of Completion if you successfully complete both modules and the evaluation survey.
- Where else can I get information for teachers?
The Guide for Teachers provides further information about the test. Additionally, it offers detailed descriptions of test scores. It includes tips from teachers on how to prepare students for IELTS.
- How long can I access the program for?
Access to the IELTS Teacher Training Program is granted for 120 days. If you require more time to complete the courses, you will need to re-enrol.