Moving to New Zealand


Your visa options

If you like the opportunity to live, study or work in New Zealand, there are many visa options available to you. There is a study visa, skilled, sponsored work visa and business visa. Some of these may lead to Permanent Residency (PR) in New Zealand. Find the New Zealand visa most likely to meet your specific circumstances here or access free student visa services.

Your IELTS options

The IELTS Academic test has been developed if you wish to study at university or college as an undergraduate or postgraduate student or join or gain entry into a professional institution. The IELTS General Training test has been developed to test your every-day, non-academic English.

Which IELTS test do you need?

IELTS for native English speakers

For most New Zealand visas, you must be able to meet the English eligibility criteria at the time you apply for the visa. Sometimes, citizens or holders of a valid passport from Australia, Canada, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom, or the United States are exempted from providing an English language proficiency test. However, if you’re a native speaker and still need to show you’re proficient in English, find out how you need to prepare. We even offer a free IELTS Masterclass that is designed to help you in your ability to reach a high band score.

Register for a free IELTS Masterclass

Play video
IELTS tips for native English speakers